The [Android-x86 project](http://www.android-x86.org/) has announced a new **test build 20130228** for public testing. This is a test release for **android-x86 4.2** JellyBean.
In the earlier release 4.0, End users need to download the exact **iso** image depending upon their PC model such as Thinkpad, Asus etc.
With the new jellybean-x86 branch, team is trying to create a universal image for most x86 platforms. The plan is still in an early stage. Please report bugs to the [android-x86 forum](http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86) with detailed specs of your machine and error logs. [sociallocker]
[Download Link for android-x86 4.2 JellyBean Test build 20130228](https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/detail?name=android-x86-4.2-20130228.iso) – Size 197MB
With the Test ISO, You can experience the “Android 4.2 x86″ on VirtualBox, VMware or by booting with a CD or USB stick directly to your Laptop or Desktop.
### **About Android-x86 Project – Run Android on Your PC**
Android-x86 is a project to port Android open source project to x86 platform, formerly known as “patch hosting for android x86 support”. The original plan was to host different patches for android x86 support from open source community. A few months after, they found out that they could do much more than just hosting patches.
So the team has decide to create the code base to provide support on different x86 platforms, and set up a git server to host it.
This is an open source project licensed under Apache Public License 2.0.
### **The key features in this Test build 20130228**
– Use the latest kernel 3.8.0 to support more drivers.
– OpenGL ES hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon and Intel chipsets (not included chips with PVR). You may disable it by adding HWACCEL=0 to the cmdline if you have trouble to use it.
– Support Multi-touch, Wifi, Audio, G-sensor, Camera and Backlight control.
– Simulate SDCard by internal storage.
– Auto mount usb driver and sdcard on plugging.
– Multi-user support (max 8).
– Support Ethernet (DHCP only).
– Support VM like Virtual Box.
The latest Android-x86 4.2 **Test build doesn’t come with ARM translator support** which means that you can’t use many applications (whatsapp, Chrome Viber etc) and games available in the Google Play Store. If you want ARM translator support,** You have to use an older version Stable version 4.0**
### **How to test the Release**
– **Option 1**: Burn the downloaded iso image to a CD and boot with it, Use the live CD option upon booting.
– **Option 2**:**Linux / Ubuntu OS** : Download the iso to your system and open the terminal in that location. Plug a USB stcik to your PC.
Now run the command “dmesg” in the terminal to find the usb stick device name,
In my case, its **sdc ** as you can see,
[ 6441.614173] sdc: sdc1 [ 6441.617367] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk [ 6442.561807] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3 [ 6442.666657] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Now run the following command to transfer the iso image to the USB stick.
dd if=android-x86-4.2-20130228.iso of=/dev/**sdc**
Please wait for sometime to finish the transfer, Then reboot your system and Boot with the USB stick. Select the “Live CD” option on the booting menu.
**Windows : **Use [Windows Image Writer Software](https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/), then select the iso file and select the USB device from the menu. [/sociallocker]
### ** Screen Shot**