21. January 2018 RHEL 0
- Made for Home, SMB and Development use.
- Ubuntu is derived from Debian, you can enjoy new version and features of software packages but a high chance for bugs and security issues.
- Security updates are not backported. Ie you have to jump to the latest version of the package to get the security fix. An issue may arise that the application may not support newer version of the packages. Hence you have to keep the old version of the package leaving the vulnerability.
- Vendor support is unavailable, Support is driven by community members.
- The maximum lifecycle of Ubuntu LTS version is 5 years.
- Often you will face issues while doing security updates and security fixes.
RHEL / CentOS
- RHEL is published by the vendor Red Hat, and is an Enterprise Operating System.
- Made for Enterprise and Corporate use.
- RHEL is supported for 10 years, and Extended support is available with “Extended Life-cycle Support” subscription after 10 years.
- Security patches are back-ported by Red Hat. ie, the security patch is applied without a change in the package version.
- The packages are tested and verified for production use before it is being available on the repository.
RHEL 7 is supported till 2024.
- 24×7 Vendor Support is available via Red Hat Enterprise Support portal, the person who handles your query will be minimum a Red Hat Certified Engineer.
- Certified on most of the hardware and the list is available at hardware.redhat.com
Do you have anything more to add ? Please comment below.